Animal Control

The Prescott Police Department is responsible for animal control in the city. Chief of Police Eric Michaels is the officer in charge of animal control. Companion Animal Control is the animal control company.

How do I contact animal control?

Call Companion Animal Control at (715) 220-1332.   Established in 2011, Companion Animal Control serves more than 24 cities/towns within Pierce County, WI, St. Croix County, WI and Washington County, MN.  Companion Animal Control responds to hundreds of calls each year to help animals, working closely with law enforcement to keep your community safe by responding to pick up stray animals, investigate concerns of cruelty/neglect, nuisance complaints and dog bites. 

What to do if I’ve found an animal?

  • If possible, contain and/or leash the animal.  Never approach an animal that is behaving aggressively.  
  • Please report stray dogs, cats and other animal control issues to the Police Department. A police officer will respond at any hour of the day or night.  Please call the Pierce Co. Sheriff Non-Emergency (715) 273-5051 and Companion Animal Control (715) 220-1332. 
    or dial 715-262-5512 when the Police Department business office is open (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., except for legal holidays). 
  • Companion Animal Control will respond to pick up the animal and will post it online at: , notify your neighborhood by sharing the posting on social media or email.  The animal will be safely kept for the state required holding period before transfer to a rescue or adoption.  
  • Consider posting a "Found" report on a website such as and the

What to do if I’ve lost an animal?

  • Call Pierce Co. Sheriff Non-Emergency (715) 273-5051 to report your pet missing, Companion Animal Control checks County lost animal reports when responding to calls of found animals. 
  • Check the Companion Animal Control found animal posts:
  • Call the impound facility Animal Humane Society (651) 730-6008.
  • For tips on finding your lost animal visit:

Wild Animals

Please be aware that wild animals (bears, deer, fox, raccoons, eagles, etc.) fall under the jurisdiction of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Report wild animal-related issues to the DNR Regional Service Center in Baldwin, WI at 715-684-2914. If you wish to speak with a game warden after business hours at the regional service center, please contact the Pierce County Sheriff's Office at 715-273-5051.

Licensed Animals

Prescott police officers will pick up stray dogs and cats within the city limits. We will attempt to contact the owners of animals licensed in the city. We will hold animals licensed in the city at the Police Department holding facility for a reasonable time, usually up to four hours, before the animal is transported to the Animal Humane Society in Woodbury, MN by the animal control officer. If the animal is aggressive or represents a danger to an officer, it may be transported immediately.

Unlicensed animals may also be transported immediately. Stray animal owners may be cited for violations of the city's animal control ordinances.

Dogs Must be Licensed

Dogs over 5 months old must be licensed. Dog licenses are available at City Hall, 800 Borner St. during business hours - Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except for legal holidays. Dog licenses are not available at the Police Department.

Proof of rabies vaccination is required. A vaccination tag must be attached to a collar and the collar must be worn at all times.

License fees: Spayed female or neutered male dog or cat: $15. Non-spayed female or neutered male dog or cat: $18.

Licenses are issued on an annual basis from January 1 to December 31. Fees are not prorated. A license tag will be issued and must be displayed on a collar. Please see Ordinance 7-1-1 Dog and Licenses Required for additional information.

Where are animals impounded?

Animal Humane Society, 9785 Hudson Road, Woodbury MN (651) 730-6008.  Animals are held for the state required holding period, then evaluated for adoption and/or rescue placement.  Owners reclaiming their animal should expect to pay a reclaim fee and may be additionally invoiced by the city to recuperate animal control expenses and/or issued a citation for an at large animal.

Owners of stray animals transported to the shelter by the animal control officer must contact the Animal Humane Society to make arrangements to retrieve them. Please note that the AHS shelter is open to the public only limited hours of the day. It is highly recommended that owners call the shelter in advance to make pick up arrangements.

Retrieval Requirements

The dog or cat owner must pay a fee and provide his or her name and address. The AHS will report to the city that the animal has been retrieved. Owners of unlicensed pets must license them within 14 days after retrieval from the shelter. If the owner does not do so, the Police Department will issue a citation for failure to license a pet as required by ordinance.

Directions and other information on the humane society is available on their website. The site contains a wealth of information on animal health, care and training. There is also complete information on how to surrender an animal to the society or adopt a companion animal.